There was the Orbit Flanger, the Ola Chorus, the Deco Tape, the Lex Rotary, but no phaser type effect pedal in our favorite Californians. It's done! Meet Zelzah, a high-end multi-dimensional phaser capable of delivering not only phaser-like effects, but a whole host of modulations and psychedelic effects as well! Let's take a tour of the owner.
As always with the brand, the case is beautiful, the finish is perfect and the quality of the PCBs at the top. On the front, there are 6 buttons that allow you to control 2 separate phasers on 2 separate slices. Left slice: 4-Stage Phaser with Speed, Depth and Mix controls + mini-toggle switch allowing you to choose 3 different modes (Classic, Barber, Envelope). Right slice: 6-Stage phaser with Speed, Depth and Voice controls (30 parameters controlled on the fly and allows access to a wide range of modulations) + mini-toggle switch allowing choir 3 Resonance modes (OFF, Mild, Strong). The pedal is equipped with stereo inputs and outputs, full EXP/MIDI support and a USB port.
Connected to an outgoing Strymon Iridium on a Stereo system we start with the 4-Stage. You have 3 modes to choose from:
- Classic: The vintage Phaser that everyone knows. A single LFO with a slightly distorted triangular shape.
- Barber Sweep: Similar to the visual effect of a barber pole. it causes a continuous sweep up or down which is traditionally done with a frequency shifter. In Zelzah, an array of 4-stage phasers are used to produce the effect while keeping the sound intact.
- Envelope Phaser: The Env mod allows you to achieve a completely different effect. The phaser responds to your attack like an automatic Envelope filter / Auto-wah would, with the phaser sweep being dynamically controlled by your input signal, creating sounds with complex harmonics with a funky orientation.
On the right side, we have the Phaser 6-Stage which offers great versatility thanks to different types of modulation. The secret weapon, the Voice control which allows you to control more than 30 parameters simultaneously. These work in harmony for a unique musical experience. With Voice, you can explore a range of musical tones that aren't a mix of phaser and flanger, but totally new effects. Turn the Voice knob to the right for a smooth, enveloping flanger, continue all the way to the end of the range for ultra lush vintage choruses. There are unique and inspiring sounds at every position, all the way through the knob travel. In addition to this, 3 Resonance modes are available. These allow you to adjust the intensity.
The resonance circuit adds feedback from the output to the input of the 6-stage phaser to intensify frequency peaks. It allows you to turn Zelzah into a superb Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Vibe machine by accessing almost all types of modulation.
Zelzah gives you the ability to route its two effects in a variety of ways.
- In series: as if you had 2 pedals one after the other.
- In parallel: Your dry signal will be processed by each slice and separated / mixed at the output.
- In Split mode: the 4-stage phaser is assigned to the left output and the 6-stage phaser to the right. With a stereo source, Split mode will process the left input through the 4-stage phaser and the right input through the 6-stage.
- 2 independent phasers that can be configured and controlled separately and used one at a time or simultaneously in series, parallel or split configurations
- A 4-stage Vintage Phaser with three phaser sweep modes: Classic, Barber and Envelope
- A 6-stage Phaser with a new unique algorithm with a range of use from classic phaser to flanger, chorus, all with adjustable resonance settings
- True split stereo with serial, parallel or split routing
- Input level selectable to allow instrument and line level signals.
- Buffered or True Bypass
- Full MIDI implementation via TRS or USB supporting MIDI CCs, MIDI clock synchronization and access to 300 preset slots
- Stereo input with high impedance and ultra-low noise JFET input stage
- Independent low impedance stereo outputs
- Input for expression pedal. Allows connection of a TRS, MiniSwitch, MultiSwitch Plus expression pedal or a TRS MIDI connection
- USB socket for control via MIDI from a computer or for performing firmware updates
- Ultra-low noise, high performance 24-bit 96 kHz A/D and D/A converters. Uncompromising audio quality
- 480MHz ARM processor
- 32 bit floating point processing
- Designed and built in the USA