During the last decade, Strymon has become a go-to brand for all things professional delays and reverbs. The Californians offer us this time a high-end Reverb, for advanced users looking for a sharp machine with almost limitless possibilities.
For this high-end reverb, the NightSky, the brand has chosen its usual brushed aluminum chassis: indestructible, classy, with, as always, a connection on the top. The NightSky uses the new chassis and the new development platform introduced with the Volante. Inside, pure Strymon with high quality PCBs and selected components. It's beautiful, it's smart-design and you don't see that anywhere else!
So what is the Strymon NightSky? Well, it's a one-of-a-kind reverb that will take you on a journey to the depths of your creativity, like a pedal has never done before!
With NightSky you can create vast soundscapes with just a few notes of your guitar or keyboard. You can interact with the effect by altering the pitch, adding mind-blowing harmonics to your reverb tails, with synth-like filters and more. You enter a world of new sounds that push the boundaries of what's possible with a classic Reverb. Imagine yourself as a sound explorer, an Indiana Jones of sound. Strymon has created a reverb pedal that can go where no one has gone before.
NightSky gives you real-time continuous control over reverb pitch, processing speed, core size, harmonics, and even a synth-like resonant filter with multiple modulation waveforms, plus a step sequencer with variable glide. You rewrite the rules of space and time at your fingertips.
New sonic territories?
NightSky is one reverb pedal you'll want to get your hands on. The endless possibilities and immediacy of menu-less settings set a new standard in reverb-based experimental design.
Reverb Warp Core.
NightSky achieves mind-blowing sounds by using a variable processing rate for its reverb core, allowing you to simultaneously change the size of the reverb as well as the pitch. This pitch change can be completely gradual or quantized to different musical scales. It can also be sequenced.
Harmonic Carving Machine.
Use Shimmer to alter the harmonic structure through selectable musical intervals. Add Glimmer to dynamically enhance the harmonic spectrum. Increase Drive to generate overdriven harmonics. Then sculpt the resulting signal with the variable resonance low-pass filter, similar to that of a synthesizer.
NightSky was born out of a desire to push the boundaries and challenge the conventions of traditional reverbs, while paying homage to the most iconic and experimental sounds of decades past.
The Strymon NightSky offers you three distinct reverb textures: Sparse, Dense and Diffuse.
- Sparse reverb creates reflections that are far enough apart to be audibly distinct. Tied notes create a very wide sound field, while Staccato notes reveal individual echoes in a way that works well for sound design and special effects.
- The texture of the Dense reverb is an immediate response reverb with a smooth grain whose sonic characteristics are similar to those of a Plate.
- The Diffuse reverb benefits from a very slow "build-up", which excels for ambient, swell and reverse. Like the old Lexicon reverbs, the Diffuse deconstructs and distributes transients over time to achieve a massive effect that spreads very widely.
Size / Pitch - By contracting the size of the reverb core, the NightSky allows the reflection density and response of the reverb to be altered while maintaining signal integrity. The result is a reverberant signal that can be transposed, sequenced and modulated/pitched almost without limit.
Shimmer - Inspired by 80s Shimmer effects using digital reverbs and other pitch shifters, the NightSky's Shimmer section allows you to modify the harmonic structure of the effect. It can be applied to the reverb input only, or can regenerate within the reverb core for pitch variations as the reverb decays.
Glimmer - Creates a richer harmonic spectrum. High mode emphasizes high frequency harmonics, creating washy and dreamy sounds ideal for ambient. When set to Low , low frequency harmonics are boosted to alter the perceived harmonic structure and create synth-like textures.
Drive - NightSky's Drive feature generates overdriven harmonics that can either react to the signal entering the reverb core or dynamically distort the reverb output in a very interactive way.
Filter - NightSky features a 24dB/octave 4-pole low-pass filter that allows for beautiful synth-like effects. The low pass filter is particularly effective associated with the Drive section. When used with the Modulation section, it allows for beautiful pads and other synth-oriented effects.
Modulate - The NightSky has a very rich modulation section. You can choose from triangle, square, ramp mode, sawtooth, random waveforms and envelope effects which can be used to modulate your choice of targets: Modulate the delay lines within the core of the reverb. Modulate the size/pitch of the reverb core. Or, for very synth-like sounds, modulate the resonant lowpass filter.
Morph - NightSky's Morph feature allows you to switch between settings by pressing the footswitch and choosing the Morph speed. Use it to gradually vary the speed and depth of modulation, or to go from a subtle, short reverb to a huge modulated pad. You can morph between different size/tone settings or even between shimmer intervals. Morph settings are saved per preset, making it a powerful live tool.
Sequence - NightSky has a powerful and easy to use eight-step sequencer. Each step changes the Size and Pitch setting and can be easily tuned in half steps or to the notes of the scale of your choice, or without any pitch/pitch quantization.
The sequencer can be set to advance a single step each time you press the footswitch, or can run automatically at an entered tempo. Individual steps can be instantly turned on or off as the sequence plays, and you can set variable glide time for smooth transitions between steps. Sequences are saved per preset.
Infinite - NightSky's INFINITE feature freezes the audio at the input of the reverb core, and any new audio can still be processed by the reverb in addition to the frozen audio. Not only does this create a -soundscape- to play over, but it also offers out-of-the-ordinary possibilities when used in conjunction with the sequencer.
The NightSky is an impressive reverb, sharp and technical. Capable of the most impressive effects in modular, ambient, synth etc. styles, but also in more classic styles. You will be able to generate magnificent modulated and drawn reverbs as we did in our demonstration video, taking up the mythical With Or Without You, by integrating the NightSky on each of the tracks. The result is a professional reverb capable of creative prowess under any circumstances. A must of its kind.
- Three selectable reverb types offer a wide variety of ambient textures
- MOD section with various waveforms for modulating reverb or tone filters
- TONE section to sculpt the high and low EQ of the reverb
- VOICE section to improve the sound spectrum of the reverb
- SHIMMER effect to add a tone shift of up to +/- 1 octave to the reverb
- GLIMMER effect dynamically enhances high and low harmonic frequencies for synth-like textures
- Pre or Post DRIVE to add overdriven harmonics to the reverb
- Adjustable reverb core size to increase or decrease reflection space
- Independent REVERB and DRY level controls
- Step sequencer for programming reverb pitch variations
- Access to 16 presets from the front panel and 300 presets via MIDI
- High impedance and ultra-low noise stereo inputs based on JFET Class A preamplifier
- Low impedance stereo outputs
- Input level switch selects line or instrument level
- On, Favorite, and Infinite footswitches
- Expression pedal input allows connection of an expression pedal, MultiSwitch Plus or 1/4" MIDI cable.
- Full MIDI in/out supporting MIDI CCs, program changes, MIDI clock synchronization and more
- USB socket for control via MIDI from a computer or for performing updates
-Analog circuit for a dry signal with zero latency, which is never converted to digital
- Premium JFET analog front-end
- Ultra-low-noise, high-performance 24-bit 96 kHz A/D and D/A converters deliver uncompromising audio quality
- Very high performance SHARC DSP
- 32-bit floating point processing
- Frequency response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Audio input impedance: 1M Ohm
- Audio output impedance: 100 Ohm
- Selectable True Bypass or Analog Buffered Bypass
- Dark blue anodized aluminum frame, robust and light
- 9V DC power supply included
- Power supply: maximum 9 volts DC centre-negative, with a minimum of 300mA
- Dimensions: 114.3 mm deep x 177.3 mm wide x 44.5 mm high
- Designed and built in the USA