10 years after the release of the OB.1, one of the first pedals designed by the brand, it bows out to make way for the Compadre, a Boost Compressor that incorporates the brand's latest technologies.
For the Compadre, the brand has chosen its usual brushed aluminum chassis: indestructible, classy, with, as always, a connection on the top. Inside, pure Strymon with high quality PCBs and selected components. The Compadre is also the only pedal in the range to be 100% analog. The input stage, the compression and boost circuit are analog and digitally controlled. This makes it possible to integrate MIDI functions for each parameter and to be able to integrate the Compadre into a complete MIDI system.
The Compadre is two pedals in one. A totally independent compressor and boost. The Compressor section offers two distinct compression modes:
- STUDIO: This mode gives you Studio quality compression, similar to the best professional racks of its kind. You get soft, natural compression that you can dose to perfection. This mode is ideal for bringing thickness and dynamics to your sound in complete transparency.
- SQUEEZE: This mode offers you a typical compression of the pedals of the genre with a profusion of "squash". This can be more extreme, with more massive compression and maximum sustain. Ideal for solos and other funk rhythms.
Paramount parameter, the Dry button allows you to reinject dry signal in parallel with the compression stage. This way, even with the most extreme compression settings, you can keep your natural attack uncompressed and add "air" to the most processed signal.
The Boost part is not left out. You have two distinct analog boosts: A Clean boost which allows a level boost by highlighting the harmonic content in a transparent way. A Dirty boost that allows a very light drive, close to that of a low-gain Overdrive. Additionally, you get 3 different EQ modes: Treble, Mid, Flat. So you can boost the high end for more snap and shine, the mids to gain thickness and fluidity, and the overall spectrum with the Flat mod (perfect for adding complexity to your clean sounds).
Every parameter in your chain has an impact on your sound. Microphones, strings, guitar, cable, amp, speakers etc... With the Compadre activated, it's simple, you hear all these parameters better. More harmonics, more dynamics, more thickness and sustain. It magnifies each note by adding more content and sonic richness. Put in front of the Strymon Iridium, it brings an analog touch to this magnificent "digital" amp by adding warmth and complexity that only a quality analog circuit can offer. These two pedals are made to work in perfect symbiosis. But don't worry, Compadre brings this "more of everything" to any configuration!
Note, associated with the brand's MultiSwitch Plus, you can save 3 presets directly accessible and more up to 300 via MIDI support.
All in all, the Strymon Compadre is a great tool for customizing your sound, and/or for adding analog flair to a digital system. As always with the Californian brand, the sound signature is very musical, Strymon offering us a beautiful machine to magnify your sound very simply.
- Premium analog circuitry VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier)
- Two voicings available: studio compression (soft and nuanced) and stompbox-style hard compression
- Independent Clean or Dirty Boost with 3 EQ options
- Dirty Boost provides overdrive when boost is engaged
- The DRY button allows you to mix the dry signal with the compressed signal to preserve attack transients
- JFET input stage (discrete) with high impedance and ultra low noise
- Low impedance mono output
- VCA output allows the Compadre to function as a volume pedal when a standard TRS type expression pedal is plugged into the dedicated volume jack
- Compatible with the MiniSwitch for remote selection of a preset
- Compatible with MultiSwitch Plus for remote selection of 3 presets
- Full MIDI control. Access to 300 presets and remote parameter control via 1/4 TRS cable. (requires Strymon MIDI EXP cable or MIDI > TRS interface)
- Selectable True Bypass (electromechanical relay) or Buffered Bypass
- Dark red anodized aluminum frame, strong and light
- 9V DC power supply included.
Power Requirements: Maximum 9 VDC Center Negative, with a minimum of 150mA
- Compressor signal/noise: 109 dB typical
- Dimensions: 11.4 cm deep x 10.2 cm wide x 6 cm high
- Designed and built in the USA